CLICK ON AN ALBUM TO LISTEN OR BUY:
Box Set Hatful of Hollow Meat Is Murder The Queen Is Dead Louder Than Bombs Strangeways Here We Come

 

Thursday, March 19, 2020

This Charming Man

2020 Update
We suddenly live in a different world.  I've been hanging out in my house with my fam, just homeschooling and figuring out how to navigate our new reality and keep my business/job going. It's tough but we are all doing a variation of this same thing and we are all in it together.  In the meantime, maybe posting these songs can give you a tiny break from the madness. Love you all and stay safe!   On with the music!

This is still one of my fav Smiths songs.  On my version, this is where I started to branch out and away from the doo doo  doot background vocals and try to find different ways to make textures and rhythms with voice. 
 


2010 Original Post

I love what Simon Goddard (author of all things Smiths) says about this song. Basically, he says that when most rock bands are singing "oh baby" "oooh yeah" and other radio-friendly nonsense, out of nowhere comes Morrissey singing "Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate..."

What an amazing lyricist he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment