CLICK ON AN ALBUM TO LISTEN OR BUY:
smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project

 

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Jam Session with Thomas Lennon

Many of you know that Thomas Lennon is a talented actor/writer (Lt. Dangle on Reno 911! and member of The State) and fabulous guitarist. He is also a huge Smiths fan! We planned to get together and record I Won't Share You while I was in LA for the Sweet and Tender Hooligans concerts. We spent a good three hours on Morrissey's birthday recording and ended up with four songs- and one guitar crash. He used his Casio DG20 which is a really wacky-looking electric synth guitar for the drum beats/organ sounds and then an acoustic for everything else. I brought my trusty laptop and microphone, as well as my boyfriend and brother. Everything was record in one or two takes. We had a great, great time.

A big thank you to Tom for everything, I had a blast!


Here's the song we originally got together to record.

And then in honor of that day being Morrissey's birthday, we recorded a disco version of Reel Around The Fountain.



Since we were on a roll, my boyfriend said "Do Cemetry Gates!" Tom had never played in on guitar so he printed out the chords from the internet and a few minutes later we recorded it, without practicing or anything. I was blown away that he learned it so quickly. I'd never really sung it before except in the car so we were both really winging it. This was our first and only take!

This was Tom's request- and probably my favorite of the day.

And of course, there has to be a guitar crash at some point, right? Tom had his casio guitar set up on a chair and well... it didn't say there.


Photos by my boyfriend, Josh Cadwising

4 comments:

  1. This is such a cool site and you are ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great collaboration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ofsilence- you are totally redonkulous for waiting so long for me to get my act together and put out some new music. Something like a 5 year dry spell?!? Sheesh. <3

    Heather- Thank you! The songs really just took shape out of nowhere and turned out awesome. Especially since there was ZERO practicing involved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are the cutest duet ever. Love the photos and soundbytes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete