CLICK ON AN ALBUM TO LISTEN OR BUY:
smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project

 

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

How Soon Is Now

This one took me a while. Johnny's famous guitar rhythm was very tricky to duplicate with voice without sounding totally obnoxious. I ended up creating a steady bass note beat of voice dropped down an octave, mixed in a layer of the same track reversed, and panned everything hard left and right. I built the rest of the song on top of that.

If you've ever listened to the original track with headphones a bunch of times in a row, you'll be able to kind of simulate the same vertigo feeling I kept getting while working on this for hours at a time. There were a few days I had to stop early for the day because my equilibrium was so out of whack and I felt literally nauseous the rest of the day. I can only imagine what it was like to mix down the original!

Here is a random picture of my son and heir of... something?

photo by Josh Cadwising

8 comments:

  1. Holy cow, what a hard song to take on - lots of expectations. Very very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on doing anamazing job on such an iconic song. Lovely version. No Headmaster Ritual????

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous! Best cover ever, hands down. I'd wondered how you'd be able to take on this song-you did a beautiful job. Simply ethereal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Killed it! What a perfect cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome version, pitch perfect and brilliantly conceived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work, best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. always loved this song. love your version - fantastico. can't download it as it has reached its limit. where can I get it?
    Turrah!
    Mark - Australia

    ReplyDelete