CLICK ON AN ALBUM TO LISTEN OR BUY:
smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project

 

Monday, March 15, 2010

William, It Was Really Nothing



Album 2: Hatful of Hollow
Track 1: William, It Was Really Nothing

William gave me a hard time. I really like the song and wanted to do it well, but I ended up giving myself a month-long mental block instead. I wanted to find a way to incorporate the guitar rhythms which is a very difficult thing to do with voice.
First version: doo doo ta dos = Bobby McFerrin hot mess.
Second version: vocal “guitar strumming” ding ta dings = um, no.
Third version: *bang head on wall* = ugh, not enough zest.
Fourth version: fancy volume edits to create rhythm? = ok!

It got to the point that my boyfriend began referring to it as "Still Will," as in, "What song are you working on... Still Will?" grrrr.

But hoo-ray! It’s done! I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

Somehow, this picture pretty much sums up the whole experience.

(photographer unknown)

3 comments:

  1. Love it. The drum effect (beatboxing?) that kicks in early reminds me - oddly - of the drum sound on the Porter version of Reel Around The Fountain.

    Worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite clever darling! i kept waiting for it to go into a Daft Punk or Oakenfold type bridge with lots of phase effects! Nice job <3

    ReplyDelete