CLICK ON AN ALBUM TO LISTEN OR BUY:
smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project smiths project

 

Friday, January 22, 2010

Shifting Gears

This started as an exercise in accepting myself as I am, without falling into my typical trap of making sure I sound "perfect" before I let people hear my music. I tend to do that a lot and the result is that nothing ever gets heard. I have lots of almost-finished tracks safely locked away in the computer until I go back and re-sing that one phrase that bugs the crap out of me... I also have a lot of friends who are *just now* discovering that I make music. "You sing? I didn't know that! You know, George in accounting plays guitar... you should start a band!" Ugh. In fact, yesterday I was sitting at my desk while my co-worker was playing music from this blog because she wanted to hear what I sound like. I can't concentrate on spreadsheets when my single, solitary, naked voice is coming out of her speakers. that's just weird.

I am still recovering from the head cold from hell that's been going on 3 weeks now which has put somewhat of a damper on this project. I'm still waiting patiently for my vocal chords to return to normal. waiting patiently. But in the mean time, I have been playing around with the idea of adding more of the Marr element to these songs with more layers of voice. Singing the melody alone is just not doing justice to the music- it needs more of the backing chord structure.

And besides, YAWN, I'm already getting bored of my single-voice format. If you have heard any of my other music, you know that I normally have layer upon layer of voices in my music. Last night, my boyfriend said, "Why don't you just do the songs as covers in YOUR style." His point is that it would be more interesting to hear my take on the music, rather than just listening to an mp3 of a girl singing the melody... Anyone can pick up a microphone and sing, but maybe they can't all do it in MY style.

I'd have to admit that I didn't really put a whole lot of thought into how I was going to sing the songs, beyond just making sure I get through the whole catalog by the end of the year. I just wanted to make sure I spend a little bit of "me time" in the studio at least once a week. But now, my goal is taking shape. At the end of the year, I'll have the entire catalog of Smiths covers in a way that represents me as a musician... covers that might still be worth listening to after the project is complete.


Anyway, here's my first and only Morrissey cover to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself




BTW, thanks to Mike and "anonymous" for letting me know there's a link to my blog on http://www.morrissey-solo.com/ How cool!

7 comments:

  1. So beautiful!!! lovely!! very well recreated, the atmosphere...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Hopefully, this will be more of an interesting journey than the previous single-voice idea. It will definitely force me to be more creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. please keep it up and don't be judgemental on your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I LOVE the harmonies! Keep on going in this direction. Stunning. Can't wait to hear what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is great what you're doing. I really enjoyed listening to your pretty voice. Thank you. I'll look forward to hearing "Seasick yet still docked" "Bigmouth Strikes again" and "Stop me if you've heard this one before". Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminds me of an 80's high school glee club covering the Smiths. Did they have glee clubs back then?

    ReplyDelete